The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Dream a Little Dream 2 (1995)

Back in high school, this was one of those, it's on Cinemax all the time, and every time we're at so-and-so's place, and he's got Cinemax, we're watching it. I'd probably seen this like 5 times total if you add up all the times I'd seen half of it, or the first fifteen minutes, or whatever, and put them all together. I decided, through the magic of Netflix, to watch it all the way from the beginning to the end in one sitting.

Dream a Little Dream 2 picks up where the first one left off, with our heroes, the Two Coreys, living in LA, with Haim's sister, played by Robyn Lively. Coleman has sent them a pair of magical sunglasses that, when worn, allow the wearer of one pair to control the wearer of the other pair with his or her mind. Naturally, some baddies want the glasses, and Haim is somehow caught between them and framed for the theft of some other sunglasses at the sunglasses store he works at. Now Feldman and Lively must find the magical sunglasses, find the stolen unmagical ones, and clear Haim's good name. In the process, they fall in love.


This is classic Two Coreys post the big fame. It's awesome. There's a hint of Lost Boys and License to Drive, mixed in with a dash of the boys have grown up. This is much better than the too silly National Lampoon's Last Resort, and the too silly thriller Blown Away. This is vintage 80s Two Coreys for the mid-nineties.

In the Two Coreys debate, I've always been a little more partial to Feldman. This has only been reinforced by watching The Two Coreys reality show on A&E. As such, the fact that this film has way more Feldman than Haim is a total plus for me. Even funnier is the way Haim and Feldman seem to mimic their real life selves with Haim as the irresponsible one and Feldman as the one with his shit together. Even though Lively plays Haim's sister, making her not available to Haim, it makes sense that Feldman gets the girl.


Like Meatballs 4, this film also mocks Feldman's one time obsession with the King of Pop. Here, Haim gets Feldman to put on the pair of glasses that gives the other person control, and Haim has him dress and dance like Michael Jackson. I'm not sure if Feldman takes himself too seriously now to pull this off, but I think any future filmmakers should consider having Feldman do this in their movies. I'd love it.

There is one drawback to this film, though: if you're not a huge fan of the Two Coreys, this isn't much fun. In terms of plot and action and humor, it's like watching the Bloodhound Gang without the charm and the fact that it was the Bloodhound Gang. I'm such a huge Two Coreys fan, so I could get past how dumb this was. Make sure your audience is a fan too, or you'll have some bored people on your hands.


If you haven't seen this, and you dig the Two Coreys, it's gotta be on the top of your list. This also fits well in a Two Coreys film fest at the end of the first night, right after Lost Boys and Dream a Little Dream one. If you don't dig the Two Coreys, avoid this, it won't do you any good.

For more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109666/

Looking for more action? Check out my short action novel, Bainbridge, and all my other novels, over at my author's page! Click on the image below, go to https://www.matthewpoirierauthor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment