The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Saturday, March 30, 2024

Left for Dead (2007)

This is one I've been meaning to cover for a long time, but I had trouble finding it. It was available to rent, and I considered doing that, but then Vudu--which is now "Fandango at Home"--had it, and after them, the Roku Channel, so between the two I was able to finally make it happen.

Left for Dead is DTVC Hall of Famer Albert Pyun's mix of the Western and Horror genres. In it we have a town that was overrun by their women of the night--or "whores" as the opening backstory so lovingly calls them--who kill everyone except for the local reverend, because he makes a deal with the devil so he can finally get revenge on them. He roams the town, waiting for them to come back, and 15 years later it happens when one of the ladies' daughter is chasing down the man who may or may not have raped her and made her pregnant. At the same time, Victoria Maurette also wants that man, so they're all on a collision course to wackiness--with a murderous ghost reverend waiting for them!


This could've been one of Pyun's better films, but he relied really heavily on a freeze-frame technique that bogged things down. Here and there I think it could've worked, but the volume of it made it hard to get as stuck in as I'd have liked to. This is also darker and gorier, which, for someone like me who's on the squeamish side, was something that could be harder to watch, but I could manage that better than the constant freeze frames. The thing about the freeze frames is it betrayed how well this was shot, and the great environment they were shooting in in Argentina. The other thing is I really liked Victoria Maurette as our heroine, and Andres Bagg as the baddie, the problem was, they were adversaries more out of situation than any kind of common past--the baddie had his bone to pick with the ladies of the night that laid waste to his town and killed everyone, while Maurette had her bone to pick with the other guy that was accused of rape. I think it would've been better if she was seeking out the baddie as a source of conflict. Overall, as a Pyun fan, I liked what he was going for, and I liked a lot of what this had in it, I just wish he'd gone lighter on the freeze frames.

Our last Pyun review was August of 2022, so this is the first time we've reviewed one of his films since he's passed, which makes this one a little sad. I probably should've reviewed it sooner as a tribute to him like I've done for other legends who have left us, but this wasn't as available, and I created a Letterboxd list where I ranked his films instead, which is something that I think is a little more fitting since we've covered almost all of his films at this point. Where I'd put this one on that list is tough to say. That freeze frame thing is not just me nitpicking, it was tough for me to take. When I reviewed Bulletface I mentioned it then as well, even though it wasn't as frequent as it was in this one. One point I made was, in the age of streaming, the freeze frames feel like buffering, which makes them all the more intrusive, and Pyun actually appreciated that point, as it wasn't something he considered, but it made sense to him. What I love here though is the genre mixing and the imagery. Victoria Maurette as a gunslinger in her dirty wedding dress shooting at a reverend who's been cursed by the devil but given supernatural powers. That was delivered exactly as he wanted it to. And I think the freeze frames were his way of throwing back to the old grindhouse films, especially the old Italian Westerns, so I got why he did it, I just could've done with less of them. As I said above though, it's sad that he's passed, because it looked like he really had some ideas that he was going to bring together for us with older properties like Cyborg and Nemesis, but he never got the chance. Maybe someone will be able to finish those ones off for us at some point, but either way, he's left us with a vast catalog that we can enjoy.


Maurette was great here as the lead, but the problem was the story didn't make her lead as much of a lead as we'd have liked. She had more to do in Bulletface, but this character seemed like it could've been more compelling. The imagery alone of the gunslinger wearing her wedding dress is fantastic, and Maurette plays it as well as you'd want, it's just, again, we have a lot of other things going on between the other women, the other guy, and the baddie, that we sometimes lose her. This is the kind of thing that should be as iconic as Django dragging his coffin, it's such a perfect idea, but I think if there's a criticism of Pyun's work, it's that he has so many perfect ideas, and sometimes when they're all put together, some of each is lost and we end up with the law of diminishing returns. But it's always those things that work that keep us coming back.

Here in the US on weekend afternoons and all day on Sunday, one of the retro channels shows TV Westerns, and considering how big they were in the 60s and 70s, they had to have been a part of Pyun's viewing experience growing up. What I love here though is he takes so much of their tropes and standards, and turns them on their head. One is the idealized version of the world they presented, as if things were somehow simpler, nicer, cleaner, and whiter back then. Pyun takes that and makes everything messy, with everyone covered in dirt throughout--which makes it closer to something like the Spaghetti Western, but this is even dirtier than those. Also those old Westerns had themes like "White Makes Right" and the "Noble Savage," none of which is present here. The other thing is, Pyun pulls Western themes in a lot of his futuristic films, like Omega Red and Nemesis, so it was cool to see him make an actual Western, and then Pyun it up so to speak to put his spin on it.


In the opening title cards that give us all the backstory, the ladies of the night are referred to as "whores," and the term is used a bunch, so much so that it hurts my 2024 sensibilities, and probably would've hurt my 2007 ones too. Also, as someone who grew up in New England, I can't help reading it with that accent, saying it like Mark Wahlberg in Fear. On top of that, the guys at "No Budget Nightmares" have ruined the term for me after they covered Las Vegas Bloodbath (which I reviewed after as well). In that movie, the killer refers to what he calls "daytime whores," which sets off his killing spree--"maybe he didn't like daytime whores!" Who even knows what that means, but maybe because it made no sense in that bonkers no-budget film, it stuck with me, and every mention of "whores" in this had me shaking my fist at the screen saying "daytime whores!"

Finally, like we do with other names who have had this kind of impact on the site, we're giving Pyun a second paragraph as we wrap this up--though this is actually an extra paragraph because I put my images in the wrong places, which caused me to miscount my paragraphs! This is Pyun's 43rd director credit on the DTVC (and 46th tag all-time, but we reviewed Mean Guns twice, and tagged him for his production work on Nemesis 5 and archived work in Dollman vs Demonic Toys), which is not only the most all time, but is 28 ahead of the second-most director tags, Fred Olen Ray. Ray definitely has a enough films to pass him, but will I do enough of them? I'd have to do 4 a year, which as a Hall of Famer he should get at least that, but even at 4 a year, he wouldn't catch Pyun until 2031! We do have a few other Pyun films on the table that we can review at some point. Cool Air is available to rent on some of the streamers; and then Interrogation of Cheryl Cooper looks like it's available to rent though Vimeo on his old streaming site. Then there's Interstellar Civil War that doesn't seem to be anywhere, but maybe it will be? Or Cyborg Nemsis: Dark Rift, that may have been fully shot and screened in a very rough version. Could it be finished by someone else and released? And finally we have listed as in production on IMDb, Cyborg: Overture aka Bad Ass Angels and Demons. It looks like some shooting has been done on that. Could it be finished? Maybe by Dustin Ferguson who did Nemesis 5--or for symmetry, Jim Wynorski, who finished Bad Bizness aka More Mercy when Pyun was let go from the project. If you consider he's at 45 overall films between directing and producing, those ones I listed get us to 50, which would put Pyun in the 50 Club.

And with that, let's wrap this up. Currently this is free to stream on The Roku Channel and Vudu aka Fandango at Home. Between the two, The Roku Channel is much better on commercials, so I'd watch it there--with Fandango at Home I was 6 minutes in--after getting a commercial before we even started!--when the film was interrupted again with another commercial, abruptly inserted in there while someone was talking. Anyway, I think this is more for Pyun completists, but in that respect it's worth it.

For more info: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918645

And my newest novel, Don's House in the Mountains, is available now on Amazon! Click the image to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment