The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Future Hunters (1986)

Photobucket

My friend at Movies in the Attic suggested this one to me after I'd reviewed a few other films from the late, great, Cirio H. Santiago. The combination of Robert Patrick and Richard Norton sounded great. It took some work to get it on VHS on Amazon, but I did, so here it is.

Future Hunters starts in the future, where Richard Norton lives in this post-apocalyptic wasteland. He needs to get his hands on the spear that pierced Jesus Christ so he can travel back in time, put it on a special shaft, and prevent the nuclear war that started the apocalypse. Unfortunately, when he makes it to the present day, he bumps into Robert Patrick and his woman getting attacked by bikers, and in the process of defending them, he's fatally wounded. Now it's up to Patrick and his woman to join the spear with the shaft in order to save the world.

Photobucket

This is bad. Bad in a good way, maybe; but definitely bad. First off, do not, under any circumstances, watch this alone. You need people around you to make this one work. To give you an idea, moviewise, this is akin to Alien From LA. Ever seen that one on MST3K? It's great with Mike and the 'Bots making fun of it, but if you were stuck with it by yourself, you'd be in trouble. I'd love to see an MST3K version of this film too.

The biggest problem is the length. We pretty much see the same things over and over: Patrick and his woman get close to something, then the baddies show, and they have a close call, and then we repeat. There were some great individual scenes, making it perfect for watching with friends, because in the spaces of nothingness in between, you can talk about how you're going to tell your staff you're hiking the Appalachian Trail, when, in reality, you're planning to see you're mistress in Argentina.

Photobucket

This is the fourth Robert Patrick film we've covered here at the DTVC. He was kind of weird here, because in the beginning, he couldn't hold his own against three bikers, and then later, he announces "I was in the Marines", and suddenly he's great at hand-to-hand combat. Still, the novelty of the Liquid Metal Terminator never wears off, and it's still good here. Again, another reason why this is more enjoyable among friends.

This has Bruce Le, not to be confused with Bruce Li, or the real deal, Bruce Lee. He was great for the five minutes he was there. I was expecting him to hang around and help Patrick for the rest of the movie, but for some reason he didn't. It was like being invited to dinner, offered a smidge of caviar, then told the rest of the meal will be tuna casserole. Eww.

Photobucket

Since Richard Norton was barely in it, I decided to devote the final paragraph to Cirio H. Santiago. This fall, he will be the second director, after Albert Pyun, to make the DTVC Hall of Fame. That makes sense, because he's probably the second best DTV director of all time, after Pyun. He unfortunately died last September from lung cancer. Looking him up on imdb, I see that he not only did much for the DTV film industry, but he did even more for the art of filmmaking in his native Philippines. He will be missed.

I really think this is a fun movie if watched in a group; but alone you'll just be bored to tears. There isn't enough to grab onto for a solo mish, and the good parts are even better when you have people there to laugh at it and mock it along with you. Believe me, it's much better to get through the down parts if you have someone there to talk about how you need your parents to pay off the girl you were just having an affair with down in Argentina.

For more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097404/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,

    First let me thank you for: 1) withstanding Cyborg, Nemesis and Omega Doom without serious damage; and 2) for honoring me in the DTVC Hall of Fame. I enjoy your reviews and insights.

    Second, just a footnote, but when I first moved from Hawaii to Los Angeles in the 70's, I got a job as a trailer cutter for Dimension Pictures and use to regularly cut trailers for Cirio's films. I really enjoyed his work and I was sorry to hear of his passing.

    Best,
    Albert Pyun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Pyun,

    It's an honor, not only to have you comment on the blog, but to know you read it and enjoy it. That is just so cool. I think I speak for everyone that reads the DTVC when I say I can't wait to see Tales of an Ancient Empire.

    Those three movies you mentioned above are just plain fun films, and, to me at least, that's something we're losing in a lot of newer releases. If I had a choice between another Saw or National Treasure; or a remake of Yojimbo in the future with androids, I'll take the latter any day.

    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on the DTVC.
    All the Best,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to see this but it's not available where i live (England).

    I've looked everywhere an US videos don't play over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, that sucks. First Robert Green, and now that, that's harsh.

    ReplyDelete