The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Buttcrack (1998)

Photobucket

I first came across this movie at Barnes and Noble with my friend in the summer of 2001. That was a summer filled with trips to record stores, book stores, comic book stores, and the local truck stop to play Galaga. The summer ended with a trip to San Diego, so don't think we did nothing-- though to say becoming a Galaga expert and finding awesome film gems like this is doing nothing is a tad judgmental-- even if it's me saying it.

Buttcrack is about a guy named Brian who wants to take things to the next level with his girlfriend, but he has to bide his time until the semester's over. Why? Because then he can get rid of his nightmare roommate, Wade. Wade's a slob, constantly interrupts Bryan when he wants privacy with his woman, and worst of all, never pulls his pants up, which leads to his gross buttcrack showing at all times. After an incident where said anal cleavage makes his girlfriend puke on Wade, Brian confronts him in the tub. One thing leads to another, Wade's radio ends up in the water, and Wade dies. His sister suspects Brian of foul play, and to get revenge, she puts a curse on Wade, making him walk the earth as a zombie, until he kills Brian. Worst part, whenever someone sees his zombified buttcrack, they become zombies too.

Photobucket

Do you need me to tell you how awesome this is? I hope not. One thing I left out in the synopsis, the great Mojo Nixon plays Preacher Man Bob, and he's as amazing as you can imagine he would be, giving some fantastic sermons. Beyond the movie, which comes in in a quick 68 minutes, the Troma DVD comes loaded with goodies, including a Lloyd Kaufman intro (complete with his buttcrack); two commentaries, one with the director, and one with the producer; and Mojo Nixon interviews and a live performance of "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two-Headed Love Child". This is what you came for.

The buttcrack aspect is hilarious. It's not always there, but it's there enough. In the director's commentary, Jim Larson says he started with the idea of a movie about an obnoxious guy whose buttcrack is always showing, and then didn't know what to do with it, so he added the zombie aspect after. With Wade, he does some new things with the zombie too, because instead of being aggressive and bloodthirsty, Wade really could care less and would rather just play Atari or go back to being dead. Then the idea of the buttcrack turning people who see it into zombies-- zombies of a more traditional nature-- is pure genius. That's right, pure genius to me involves buttcracks and zombies.

Photobucket

That summer that we were first introduced to Buttcrack came when I was still in college, and of course, I brought the movie back to campus with me in the fall. That's when it became apparent that the star, Brian, looked a lot like one of our friends up there. Not only looked like him, but they shared a lot of mannerisms. Of course, said buddy couldn't see the resemblance. "What do you mean we make the same faces? Like what?" "That that, that's the kind of face right there!" Watching it now after all these years, it's still amazing how much it resembles him-- if only he grew out his hair to feathered mullet length.

This is not our first experience with butt cleavage is it? Tekken had it too, though of a slightly different variety. There we had a woman in a pair of tight leather pants, laced up in the back so the top of the ass was showing in a way that made it look like chest cleavage. It looked kind of hot actually. This definitely did not, this was the real deal, a heavy dude's pasty white pimply buttocks peaking out of the top of his jeans. I don't know though, I've never found that kind of thing disgusting, more like hilarious; and I think it was even funnier in the movie when everyone else found it so disgusting.

Photobucket

Mojo Nixon kills it as Preacher Man Bob. Who wouldn't want this guy doing their funeral or wedding? I put a clip on the image page from YouTube of him performing "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with My Two-Headed Love Child" on 120 Minutes, but the one he did in the extras on the DVD is even better. Instead of saying "Rick Astley is a panty waist" he says Dave Matthews instead, which at that time, for my buddy and me, made him one of the coolest people ever, because we'd had it with the whole Dave Matthews thing. There's a radio interview he does promoting the movie that's great too. The more Mojo Nixon the better.

Get this on DVD. I don't know if there's another one from the one I got in the early 2000s (ten years ago!), so just make sure the one you get is loaded with goodies. As far as the movie itself, this is what no-budget is all about. You can't go wrong with Buttcrack.

For more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191019/

14 comments:

  1. have to check out tekken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just checked...it's 20 bucks on Amazon. I threw it on my wish list. The concept is just too good to not watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I paid $20 when I bought it ten years ago, and it's still a great deal. If I had to choose between Tekken and Buttcrack, the answer's obvious, Buttcrack every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes... Buttcrack. A classic latter day Troma flick. More movies should have Mojo Nixon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait... what? This sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah but based solely on the buttcrack screencaps, i'd have to give tekken the advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I could handle this. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you would like taintlight ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @VideoVacuum: I agree, the more Mojo Nixon the better-- "Dave Matthews is a panty waist!"

    @Hoaks2: This is as awesome as it sounds.

    @SNS: I'm telling, you Buttcrack is a better time. If it's hot chicks you need, I suggest doing a Google image search of "hot chicks", keep the results on your monitor, and turn to it every now and then as you watch Buttcrack.

    @Dr. Blackseed: I think I may have given you the wrong idea, perhaps cast this as purely lowest-common denominator, which it isn't. The director took a few of the more annoying people in his life, made one character out of them, then decided to turn the movie into a zombie flick. And that character is not very likable: he's a slob, homophobic, sexist-- it's more than just a fat dude whose buttcrack is always showing. And Brian, his roommate, isn't that great either: he has his buddy get a $20 engagement ring from his uncle's jewelry store, never takes his woman out, but rather makes food for her at his home so they can eat on the floor in beanbag chairs-- the guy's a total cheeseball.

    I guess what I'm saying is there's a lot more going on than just a fat guy walking around with his buttcrack hanging out, turning people into zombies. This is a fun little flick (and by little, I mean short, 68 minutes) that I think you'll enjoy.

    I try not to give too much away about the movie in my review, especially a good one like this, because I want people to go in as cold as possible, as opposed to looking for the things I mentioned. I think in this case it may have backfired, because I didn't sell the movie as well as I should have, but trust me, it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, with an endorsement like that, I'll certainly have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice. I need to watch some more Troma movies. This shall be added to my seemingly never-ending 'to watch' list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got this on a TROMA TRIPLE B-HEADER (along with Unspeakable...which is a great movie, and Garden Of The Dead)
    Only ever watched UNSPEAKABLE (would love to see your review of that one?) But may well watch BUTTCRAK tonight

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Dr. Blackseed: I guess all I'm saying is don't write this off as lowest common denominator yet.

    @Matthew Conway: I know the feeling. I have something like 300 movies on said list. I'm considering dumping Netflix's DVD service due to declining quality of service, but I know that vacuum will be fill quickly.

    @Lee Nicholson: Long time no hear from, it's good to see you back. I don't have Unspeakable on me, but I should check it out again (you're talking about the Dennis Hopper one, right?) If you own Buttcrack, it's worth checking out. I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not the dennis Hopper movie, but this one:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259077/

    It's another Troma modern classic (although it's a lot darker than BUTTCRACK.....more on par with COMBAT SHOCK)
    But quite funny all the same

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I've never seen that one. I'll have to check it out-- though it looks a little brutal for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete