The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Beyond the Wall of Sleep (2006)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My buddy picked this out when we were hanging out one night, because he's a big Lovecraft fan. It's probably not something I would've scooped on my own, but from the cover it looked sufficiently entertaining enough.

Beyond the Wall of Sleep is an adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft short story about a dude from the sticks with a bunch of growths on his back that turn into a monster or something. I never read the story, but in the movie they have that aspect, with the hick played by Larry of Larry, Daryl and Daryl fame of the old Newhart show. He goes to an asylum, where a young intern takes a fancy to him when he's not experimenting on a chick he has in the basement with her skull open and wires attached to her exposed brain. While the two main doctors at the asylum fight over what to do with the hick, the intern experiments on him with his electrode things. People die horrible deaths, and then this monster, named Amducious, comes out of the guy's back, and dies ten seconds later. End scene.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The people making this movie padded the film with these dream sequences of kids playing games and what not. It's the same scene over and over, and it didn't make any sense. On top of that, the film makers used these trendy jump cuts and edits that looked more dumb than cool. This isn't Miami Vice, in fact, it's not even Fastlane, and so these film FX look like an attempt to put a bow on gift box with a McDonald's manager tie in it.

One really great highlight was the cameo by Sex Machine from From Dusk Till Dawn. supposedly this guy has a name and people know it, but he'll always just be Sex machine to me. Unfortunately he didn't get a chance to use his crotch pistol in his few scenes. I can't even imagine what he was paid for this role.

You'll notice the picture of the box at the top. This is identical to the one we saw on the shelves at the rental place. There is nothing in the film that has anything to do with that picture. It's like Chad and Trevor in Cave Dwellers, and I'm curious to find out what the scene actually came from. This kind of "who gives a shit as long as it sells more" attitude toward the marketing of these direct to video films is one of the reasons I love DTV so much. You just never know what you're going to get.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I didn't get the whole Amducious thing. The whole movie, Larry of Larry, Darryl and Darryl fame kept talking about this Amducious, and when we finally see him, he's only there for like ten seconds. Why? That doesn't make for a good movie. I want to see M Docheous kill some people before he dies.

That was just part of a whole convoluted ending that left more questions than answers. Yet this movie was so bad and thought unprovoking, I don't remember what any of the questions were, I just remember thinking "what?" Maybe the studio tried to re-cut it, or the guys who made it had trouble wrapping it up, but it was just stupid.

Again, this may not have been my cup of tea, but my friends who do like this kind of thing hated it too. So I'm not alone. I'd avoid this, especially if you're renting it and it costs new release money.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, this movie sucked and I REALLLLY love forward to Lovecraft movies. There should be a petition that only Brian Yuzna and Fantastic Factory should be allowed to do Lovecraft movies from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little bit late with my comment (just found your blog today), but I liked it, in the "it butchers Lovecraft and makes me want to cry, but damn, it is so bad that it's great"-way. ANY movie that features the line "DO YOUR LOINS YEARN FOR MY SYNAPTIC IMPULSES?!" is destined to greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished it.....is it me,or were they going for a "House of 1000 Corpses" vibe?.....If so....this was a MASSIVE DISASTER !!!! (even the DVD cover art "hints" to ripping off Rob Zombie's much...MUCH better film.) And like someone else said....the cover art has NOTHING to do with the film !!! I feel violated,because I was robbed of my dollar for renting this. Let me help you save YOUR dollar....and when you see it on the rack at your video store....just.....step.....away......slowwwwwwly.

    ReplyDelete