The Direct to Video Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of action, horror, sci-fi, and comedy, especially of the Direct to Video variety. In this blog I review some of my favorites and not so favorites, and encourage people to comment and add to the discussion. For announcements and updates, don't forget to Follow us on Twitter and Like our Facebook page. If you're the director, producer, distributor, etc. of a low-budget feature length film and you'd like to send me a copy to review, you can contact me at dtvconnoisseur[at]yahoo.com. I'd love to check out what you got. And check out my book, Chad in Accounting, over on Amazon.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Day of Wrath (2006)

I caught this film over the summer when a buddy brought it by. Between Fortress, Highlander, and Mortal Kombat, we're all pretty big Lambert fans, especially of his DTV work. That's why he's a Hall of Famer. It is also important to note that this is not the Carl Dreyer classic of the same name. Though I'm a huge fan of his work, this isn't a Criterion Collection blog.

In some ways Day of Wrath lives up to Lambert's Hall of Fame status. No, it's no Fortress or Druids, but it has it's moments. It's important to note that on March 29th Lambert celebrated his 50th birthday, so I'm a little more lenient with him than I am with some others when it comes to movies like this. I take his reputation into account.



Day of Wrath takes place in the 16th century, and Lambert plays a detective solving some murders. There's also a mysterious fencer who kicks Lambert's ass ad nauseam. It's kind of hard to take considering he once played Connor MacLeod.


Hands down, best part, horse chase where Lambert slaps a guy on another horse to disrupt him. He looked like a gay dude in a love triangle fighting on Jerry Springer with the guy who was sleeping with his man. It really made the movie for us, and we watched the scene over and over.

The drawbacks are many. The plot is a little ambitious for a film of this quality, especially the poorly delivered twist at the end. More distressing, Lambert isn't the best fighter, even though he's the only big name in it. It's annoying to see some masked swashbuckler swoop in and kick Lambert's ass. Of course all of these issues we had with the film were ignored after the slapping scene.



This is a tough call in terms of value. Rent it, but don't spend new release money on it. It's relatively new (2006, I believe), so don't buy it for more than a few bucks. Under no circumstances do you pay the full $19.99. If you haven't seen Fortess 1 and 2, Druids, or Mean Guns, I'd watch those before this one.

For more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353357/

Looking for more action? Check out my short action novel, Bainbridge, and all my other novels, over at my author's page! Click on the image below, go to https://www.matthewpoirierauthor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment